Saturday, March 27, 2010

book worm


So, last summer I read my first novel all the way through. really. I have no idea how I got through junior high or high school. Oh yes i do: cliffs notes and Julie telling me about books and i'd re-tell them to the teacher for credit. I know. I'm 25. Its just never been my thing. Julie was always the hard core reader and she'd tell me all about every book in so much detail that I never needed to read it, right.

Then one day last summer when I was jobless and had too much time on my hands I actually read one of the books Julie said was too good to retell. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Brilliant. I couldn't put it down. I was hooked. And I've been reading book after book after book since then.

And sometimes I feel real frustrated at myself and real far behind because there are so many amazing stories and I am just now getting started. I just finished This one and I love love loved it. Thank you, Rayna.

If you haven't read it, really its great and a fast read except it took me like a month cause I purposely drag every good book out so the story won't end as quick.
But you will love it. Whoever you are. Trust me.

Next on my list is a comic book, or graphic novel maybe sounds smarter, called Maus about WWII. From Julie. Who is the best book recommender of all time.

Anyway to all you book worms, what are some of your favorite books?
I'm making a To Read List. And I want it to last me a long time. I think I've used my library card more this past year than I have in my entire life all added up. It feels great.

5 comments:

  1. I drag out books too.. I like to make them last long. Taylor has never read an entire book. Ever. It's so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST finished this too! I quickly handed it off to Kristine cause I know she'll love it too. I was able to listen to it on cd and it made it so real. They had a couple characters doing the voices and Juliet had the best, romantic british accent. I looooove the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am dying that you just finished your first book and you're a teacher. haha. the bredei chronicles by juliet marrilier. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie introduced me to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...sooooo good. I really like Franny and Zooey (by J.D. Salinger). The Bell Jar (by Silvia Plath) is another classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, i'm a complete stranger. don't know how i found you, i just did.
    but extremely loud and incredibly close is my favorite book. i just suggested it to my friend marcus and he finished it super fast, and loved it, and i borrowed it to my boyf's sister and she's reading it right now.

    i don't know what it is about that book.
    but it's incredible, for sure.
    another book i read around that same time was The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time. I can't think of who wrote it right now. Haddon? SO good.

    and the History of Love by Nicole Krauss.
    i recommend those, if you don't mind, my strangeness doing so.

    -tiffani
    tifsong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete