Monday, September 14, 2009

We Got The Beat

I teach fifth grade science. We're learning about the circulatory system.
I thought, how cool to let them see a real heart.
So I called a butcher and asked if he could save me one.
I expected a clean little organ that i could just stick in a jar and let he kids look at.
When I got to the butcher's he handed me the bag he saved for me. It was reeeeal heavy.
I got home and turns out he was a way generous guy cause he gave me the ENTIRE chest cavity of a sheep, fatty heart membrane, heart, lungs, trachea, intestines... the works.
So all i have to do is take it home and extract the little heart out. I'm freaking out at the thought of it. And pretty close to abandoning my amazing 'let them see a heart' science lesson and just printing off a picture from the internet.
Lucky for my students, my mom-in- law is a surgery nurse and offered to perform the surgery on the sheep guts and get my little heart out.
I'm nominating myself for teacher of the year.
+
+
+
=

11 comments:

  1. Ew!!! I would not be able to do that. I could barely look at the picture... You have my vote for best teacher of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! who doesn't love a generous butcher? if i were a butcher and i saw a cute little corine walk into my shop, i would most certainly know that she wouldn't want the entire chest cavity. i love that you're a teacher (i had no idea) and i bet the kids already love and will love you even more for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like Joce, I love that you're a teacher! You're a good person... you served a mission and you're a school teacher...couldn't be better!- Kassie (Just in case you didn't know my last name is BELCH-er.) What's you're e-mail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha that's freaking sweet! dude corine, i didn't know you were a teacher? WHERE? madison elementary? i subbed for 5th graders and they were the devil. they treated me like poopoo haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. so neat! i love those pictures..you are scared outta your mind! i would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will not vote for you cuz thats icky gross...but i love u ....ok i'd vote for u ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang right Teacher of the year, I could NEVER do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. KASSIE!!! my email is corinebell@gmail.com add me to your blog list. Love you. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ummm, gross. REALLY gross. You are the most devoted science teacher eVER.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm adding you today... Don't delete the invite... it says "Gil and Paul" xo

    ReplyDelete