Wednesday, September 9, 2009

RAfting


What we learned on our family white water rafting trip down the Snake River:
-Preston + Short Shorts= The best tour guide ever
-If the tour guide says it takes 3 hours to do a 26 mile stretch, he means 7 1/2 hours
-It's not necessary to prepare for the huge rapids 12 miles in advance and when i say prepare I mean wrap Kason in 5 garbage bags and not let him cut arm holes.
-The rapids are always just around the corner and they're HUGE and when you get to the corner and the water is as still as still it means rapids are just around the next corner and when they're not there either, its just the next one. And if we would have rowed for 8 hours instead of 71/2 I just know we would have hit A rapid cause i really think they were around the next bend
-Kason can walk faster than out raft rafted.
All in all it was a perfect experience. Frustrating, annoying, long, hilarious and we all learned about love and patience. We hit zero rapids and were fighting the wind to cover inches of ground. It was such a funny day. For me it was a huge wake up call about how I show up in life. I blamed my frustration on everyone else. And i thought i wasn't happy because the trip wasn't going exactly like i thought it would in my brilliant head. So I was more than bratty, mostly on the inside, but I might have let a few bad words fly out. And then i decided that maybe instead of it being everyone else, maybe the problem with my happiness was me. And i was right. I was looking and looking for it and it never came. Its because there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. If I look for it i'll never find it. Happiness is something that I bring to the table. There's no happiness to be found in doing things, I can only bring happiness to every experience. The first half of the trip I was pulling out my hair crazy annoyed at the situation, and then I just chose to BE.
And I remembered that its always a choice. And when I'm frustrated or mad or whatever, its cause I'm choosing it. And i can choose out of it just as easily. I can see it so clearly now, but you should've seen me on that raft. Can you say brat?

P.S. Preston wins for shortest shorts check out those legs for days.

3 comments:

  1. Taylor and I went rafting with his family. We had little rafts and we were told there were no rapids. Someone was misinformed. Our raft popped and our camera went under... along with our clothes and towels. I was a bit bratty. But the camera works fine, clothes dry... we didn't die. Sounds like you had a wonderful rafting trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. i know exactly what you mean. you sound like a taoist. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 71/2 hours! kill me. but it looks like good family fun.

    ps. your hair is getting so long!

    ReplyDelete